CANSCAIP's Blue Pencil Mentorship Program
Do you have a manuscript or series of illustrations that needs a professional polish?
CANSCAIP’s Blue Pencil Mentorship Program puts you in touch with professional children’s authors and illustrators:
- Connect with an expert in your field.
- Receive a personal critique of your work.
- Submit up to five follow-up questions.
What Type of Material Can I Submit?
You can submit material in the following genres:
- Picture book: illustration.
- Picture book: fiction (text).
- Picture book: non-fiction (text).
- Picture book: dummy (text and illustration).
- Middle grade fiction: contemporary.
- Middle grade fiction: fantasy or science fiction.
- Middle grade fiction: historical.
- Middle grade non-fiction.
- Young adult fiction: contemporary.
- Young adult fiction: fantasy or science fiction.
- Young adult fiction: historical.
- Young adult non-fiction.
Middle grade refers to ages 8 to 12, while young adult refers to ages 12 to 18.
Who Are the Mentors?
Mentors are professional children’s authors and illustrators who are Members of CANSCAIP. They have a minimum of three books published, plus experience in reviewing, teaching, mentoring and/or editing. You can read more about our individual Members here.
What Will I Receive?
We’ll pair you with a mentor who is a professional in your genre. Your mentor will submit a report directly to you by email. This report will take the form of a substantive critique (at least two single-spaced pages) rather than a line-by-line edit. You can respond to the email with up to five follow-up questions. The follow-up must be completed within one month of receipt of the critique.
Illustration reports include discussion of:
- technical ability, including style, execution and suitability for picture books.
- character, expression, action, variety, unity (where applicable).
- steps to further develop the illustrations.
Manuscript reports include discussion of:
- technical ability, including style and execution.
- character, structure, plot, setting, point of view, voice, dialogue, believability (where applicable).
- steps to further develop the manuscript.
Note: This is not an editing service. CANSCAIP does not help place a manuscript with a publisher.
How Do I Submit?
Complete the attached form and mail it, including a cheque, to CANSCAIP. You will then be contacted by our office with your mentor's name and information about how to submit your manuscript or illustrations. Manuscripts must be double spaced with 12-point type in a standard font with one-inch margins. You may include a covering letter and/or one-page synopsis with your submission.
To have the manuscript or illustrations returned, include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage.
How Much Does it Cost?
The Blue Pencil fees, including mentors' HST*, are as follows:
- $170 for ten illustrations.
- $203 for a 32-page dummy book (illustration and text).
- $170 for up to ten manuscript pages of one work in any genre (double-spaced, 12-point font).
- $226 for up to 50 manuscript pages of one work (plus $2 + HST per page thereafter).
All applicants must be Friends of CANSCAIP. If you are not currently a Friend, you can become one at the discounted rate of $35 (regular annual Friend membership is $45).
* If your mentor does not charge HST, you will receive a small refund.
Click to fill out the Blue Pencil Submission Form
Call for Mentors
If you are a CANSCAIP Member who is interested in becoming a Blue Pencil mentor, please contact the office.